Monday, August 10, 2009

Scott Ford's Welcome Home from Afganistan

I remember getting this assignment at the last minute and leaving the event disappointed with what I shot. But, returning to the images today (in the process of freeing up more space on my hard drive), I was moved thinking back on the event. So much of Ford's welcome home event seemed really telling about why men and women enlist, how politicians sell wars, Americans ideas of patriotism, and lack of opportunity, especially in Appalachia.

I am pretty sure these are the photos that ran in the ANEWS





but I like some of the other images from my take better, even though some are not exactly newsworthy.
Patriotism.
I consciously cut the beer out of the photo i submitted to the paper, but i thought that was pretty sad and ironic. Below, friends and family listen to Ford tell the story of how he was injured in battle. Ford was deployed to Afghanistan in September 2008 and due back in May, but was shot in the left arm on April 6. He said he is recovering and hopes to eventually return to Afghanistan once he has healed. I watched parents whisper to their children how brave and admirable Ford was. I agreed with their whispers, but depressed by them to. It seems children are taught to serve their county, but not think critically or given the tools to understand the impact of their service both on their lives and others.

The modest American Legion on West Union Street in Athens brought to mind reasons so many enlist. Its a chance to see the world, to do something with their life. In small towns, with little opportunity, joining the army is a chance to earn money for college, become more disciplined, and do something honorable. All you've gotta do is risk your life, your mental health, and your relationships.

Above, candles from a vigil. Below, Scott received a purple heart for his bravery.


Growing up, my parents ingrained in me that "War is Not the Answer" like our bumper stickers said. Through my parents conversations as a child, I was aware of the many costs of war, the long term implications, and the social programs that could have used the money instead. In my my high school years, I would attempt to gain leverage by threatening to join the army if I couldn't have my way. To be funny, I would hang recruitment materials on my fridge. It infuriated my mom. Yet, being at the welcome home for Scott Ford, I could really see why people choose to go to war. Lucky enough to be able to attend college, its easy for me to think its crazy to go to enlist. Though, this event really reminded me of the dire reality of many young Americans and reality that most are not raised in communities that hold Peace Day every year on Labor Day or communities where nearly everyone works for some type of nonprofit social service agency (or plans to once old enough).


I remember leaving this Friday event with no desire to go out. It really made me think about a lot of issues facing America and especially Appalachia. I am grateful to have met Scott and his family and grateful to be reminded of the costs of war. Its become too easy to simply grow weary of hearing about the situation in the Middle East and stop following how things are unraveling there. Going to this welcome home reminded me that I must continue follow whats going on and be thinking of all of those suffering from war.

No comments:

Post a Comment